Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

I think I'll Move to Boston

Two and a half weeks ago, I moved to Boston, MA. After not having a creative, design job for close to 10 months, I finally got a job in design with Whole Foods Market. I have learned a lot about Boston since I've moved here and some things are very different than what I expected.

1. Liquor laws are a lot stricter than even the south. You cannot purchase beer or wine in grocery stores or convenient stores, you can only purchase alcohol in designated liquor stores.
2. People get paid overtime every Sunday, and also get paid overtime for any holiday that falls over the weekend on the Monday following. Where was that law in the South?
3. Bars close at 2am, but public transportation stops running at Midnight.
4. Food places/restaurants close really early, and Chinatown is basically the only place you can buy food after midnight.
5. Professional sports are religion up here
6. Parking tickets are inevitable, mainly because you can never fully understand when you can and cannot park on the street as basically every parking spot has a "No Parking Sign" but with small print about which days and times it relates to.
7. Cabs are impossible to hail, as you can't tell when they are in use or not and are only allowed to drive to certain locations in Boston.
8. Drivers and bikers are both insane
9. Most roads don't have turn lanes or lines on the road, so you can't tell if your in a lane or not
10. They call water fountains "water bubblers" and shopping carts "carriages"

Despite, all of these nuances and cultural differences, I have really enjoyed Boston so far. It is a very interesting city with so much to do and see and I am very happy I have chosen to move here.

No comments:

Post a Comment